What Is Agile Project Management? And How Can Your Team Benefit?The Flow TeamLast Updated: November 10, 2020
Most of the world’s teams work in fast-paced, ever-changing environments. That’s where the term agility comes into play. You’ve likely heard the term before, but what does it really mean in today’s workplace? Stemming from the IT world, agile capabilities evolved in the 1990s when “thought leaders sought ways to quickly build working software and get it into the hands of end-users.” During this period of transformation, IT began focusing on software solutions combined with more fluent applications needed for a productive work environment.
Agility is essentially a way to simplify the way you work and coordinate together in regards to workload processes. If you’re asking, “What is agile project management?” and wondering if your team can benefit from it, know that it distinctly involves improving systems, processes, and timelines to empower your team members and help you organize work in a way that’s simplified and meaningful.
What is Agile Project Management?
So what is agile project management exactly? It is a method of applying intuitive software and tools to the lifecycle of your team’s project management processes. Agility enables you to multitask for improved collaboration, teamwork and productivity.
Agile project management takes agility a step further to represent the task and project management steps, systems, tools, app integrations, and execution capabilities necessary for enabling project teams to establish a streamlined, effective workflow—even in changing environments.
According to the Project Management Institute (PMI), project teams “increasingly embrace agile as a technique for managing projects” with 71% of organizations reporting the use of agile project management approaches “sometimes, often, or always.”
As evidence has suggested, Agility models thrive in communicative and adaptive cultures where team members are connected via a single dashboard or source. These teams use collaboration tools where team members can quickly adapt to project changes, leading to greater workflow and productivity benefits.
Iterative is another term you may hear around the topic of agile project management. It represents the agile life cycles or significant steps involved in project completion. This approach focuses on the empowerment of team members via easy-to-use collaborative project management tools for maximum productivity.
How Can Your Team Benefit from Agile PM?
Fostering success through agile project management and iterate processing often begins with dynamic adaptability. Your project and your team must demand interaction, collaboration, and accountability, as well as the ability to shift and change according to project and client needs as you go.
This means that tasks can be assigned, dated, and set as recurring as needed. You can also assign project team members where necessary, and even assign subtasks and add notes or files as you strive through the agile project management process. And the benefits of this are endless, especially when working with an all-in-one project management software platform.
Here’s an overview of the many opportunities your team can take advantage of within this system:
- Optimize team communication and productivity.
- Foster a culture of learning and evolution where one centralized and goal-oriented task management platform supports your project.
- Support in-office and remote team members with agile project management tools.
- Bolster team communication and workflow empowerment with:
- Assignments that are easily set up via templates or email.
- Reminders that can be sent to keep team members on schedule.
- Easy attachment of files and notes for project clarity.
- Real-time communication via a built-in chat messaging system that allows task creation directly from a chat channel.
- Team member accountability through calendar and timeline integration and reporting, including customizable views from high-level project timelines all the way down to individual task lists.
- Cultural collaboration and productivity support through task and calendar sharing, including the ability to:
- View projects and tasks by timeline, individual, or team.
- Prioritize tasks, set start dates, due dates and due times, and update them as each project progresses.
- Add followers to a task and add task comments so everyone stays in the loop on updates or timeline changes.
- Allow collaborators to view real-time updates on tasks as due date changes, comments, and completions so they understand the progress.
- Project management planning, intention, and successful execution, allowing teams to create a powerful project result that’s on time and productive.
From a single project management tool, you’ll be able to integrate all of your teams, projects, apps, and timelines in order to accomplish goals and provide leadership and quality results for your team.
Taking Advantage of Agile Methodology, Leadership, and Teamwork
Agile project management, now more than ever, requires first choosing the tool you wish to work with each day. It involves planning with timelines, tasks, and processes in mind for effective collaboration.
Through agile project management processes, you will streamline your workflow. And the “what is agile project management” question begins and ends with empowering people. What better way to do this than providing your team members with a modern collaboration app that integrates all of your project tools, tasks, and calendars within one intuitive, task management system?
Flow provides a feature-rich, all-in-one collaborative platform that’s both scalable and simple enough to learn in minutes. To learn how it can improve your team’s workflow, sign up for a free trial today!
What’s Flow?Try it for free
Capture to-dos, notes, files, and dates in seconds. Never forget a detail again.
Organize tasks into projects to visualize your work as a board, list, or timeline.
Calendars & Timelines
See your tasks, teammates tasks, and project timelines on a calendar.
Comments, file sharing, channels, and direct messaging come built into Flow.
Powerful & Flexible
Assign tasks a priority or due time, add sub-tasks, tags, and so much more.
Tired of dull and dreary productivity apps? Flow is simple, beautiful, and delightful.
Start working smarter.
See why over 300,000 teams in more than 140 countries around the world use Flow. Try it free for 30 days. No credit card required.Get Started – It’s Free to Try