Rennick Palley: The Founder of Stratos Technologies on Investing in Venture Debt & EquityDaniel ScrivnerLast Updated: February 18, 2021
Rennick Palley is the Founder and Chief Investment Officer of Stratos Technologies. Prior to founding Stratos, Rennick worked as a Research Associate at Sanders Capital — which manages over $40 billion in global equities. To date, Stratos Technologies has made 16 investments with an aggregate transaction value of over $250 million into companies like Rezi, Tala, Dave, Compound Finance, and Clearbanc.
In Part 1 of this two-part interview, Rennick and I discuss the war of growth vs. value investing, the concept of reflexivity, and Stratos’ approach to investing across the capital structure in early-stage technology companies. In Part 2, which will be released next week, we zoom way out to get Rennick’s thoughts on everything from the recent boom in SPACs to his interest in DeFi movement and investing in the crypto space.
“I think every stock that has future growth can be value, and every stock that is value can also be growth. They go together.” – Rennick Palley
Chapters in this interview:
- 00:00:16 – How Rennick got his start at investing
- 00:05:43 – What Rennick learned as a Research Associate at Sanders Capital
- 00:19:23 – The story behind Stratos Technologies
- 00:25:26 – George Soros’ concept of Reflexivity (and why it’s applicable today)
- 00:30:02 – Why venture backed technology companies are under-levered
For more, explore the full text transcript of this episode.
Links from the Episode
- Connect with Rennick: LinkedIn | Stratos Technologies
- Sanders Capital
- Lew Sanders
- Sanford Bernstein
- Gamestop and its stock frenzy
- Puerto Rican sovereign debt
- The Alchemy of Finance by George Soros
- Alex Danco’s writing about SaaS lending
- Benedict Evans’ presentation: The End of the Beginning
- Short position
- Growth investing vs. value investing
- FANG stocks
- Valuation multiple
- Current cash yield
- Debt deals
- Safe note
- Preferred equity investment
- Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC)
- Series A, B, C funding
- B2B SaaS
- Leveraged Buyout (LBO)
- Tech bubble of the early 2000s
- Life-cycle investing
- Seed Capital
- Credit fund vs. equity fund
- Russell 2000 Index
- Private equity vs. public equity
On Outliers, Daniel Scrivner explores the tactics, routines, and habits of world-class performers working at the edge—in business, investing, entertainment, and more. In each episode, he decodes what they’ve mastered and what they’ve learned along the way. Start learning from the world’s best today.
What’s Flow?Try it for free
Capture to-dos, notes, files, and dates in seconds. Never forget a detail again.
Organize tasks into projects to visualize your work as a board, list, or timeline.
Calendars & Timelines
See your tasks, teammates tasks, and project timelines on a calendar.
Comments, file sharing, channels, and direct messaging come built into Flow.
Powerful & Flexible
Assign tasks a priority or due time, add sub-tasks, tags, and so much more.
Tired of dull and dreary productivity apps? Flow is simple, beautiful, and delightful.
Start working smarter.
See why over 300,000 teams in more than 140 countries around the world use Flow. Try it free for 30 days. No credit card required.Get Started – It’s Free to Try