Flow X is Launching in Late SeptemberDaniel ScrivnerLast Updated: September 17, 2020
In early 2019, we set out to reimagine Flow. After 18 months in development, including 6 months of beta testing, we’re excited to announce that Flow X is launching in September. Here’s a quick peek at what we’ve built and why we can’t wait to share Flow X with you.
In the last decade, we’ve transitioned from a simple tool for managing personal tasks (and sharing them with friends) to a powerful productivity platform that today is used by teams in more than 140 countries.
While we’ve seen plenty of change over the last decade, the pace of change has accelerated dramatically in 2020. Most teams have transitioned to working remotely. Many are starting to hire and build a more global, distributed team. Others are exploring new modalities like working asynchronously.
We couldn’t be more excited about these transitions. Together, we believe these represent the future of work — as we continue to transition to work collaboratively across languages and around the world.
Luckily, we’ve been building toward that vision all along. And today we’re excited to announce that in late September we’re releasing a completely rebuilt version of Flow that we call Flow X.
We’ve taken everything that we’ve learned over the last 10 years — helping hundreds of thousands of teams complete millions of tasks — and used that foundation to build the productivity tool for the next generation of work.
Five apps in one.
In Flow X, we’ve restructured the app to focus on five core tools. Those are Activity, Tasks, Projects, Calendars, and Chat.
Here’s a little bit about what you’ll find in each:
- Activity: A personalized news feed for your work. It includes updates on tasks assigned to you, those you’ve delegated to others, and all of the tasks that you’re following in Flow.
- Tasks: Here, you can add teammates to your sidebar to easily see what’s on their plate at any time. You can also add teams to track work planned and in-progress across your entire team. And you can easily find tasks that might be slipping through the cracks — including those without an assignee or deadline, and tasks that are overdue.
- Projects: This is the hub for your team’s larger goals and initiatives. Here you can see all of the projects on each team, track their progress, and save the projects that matter the most to you by pinning them to your sidebar. Projects help organize your work so you don’t lose sight of where you’re headed and why the work matters.
- Calendars: Visualize your tasks, projects, and workload through time. Calendars are a powerful, immersive way to evaluate your resources and keep work on schedule. They can help you spot problems — like timelines colliding rather than flowing together — and balance work across your team. Calendars provides a 10,000-ft view of all the work that’s completed, in progress, and planned across projects and teams.
- Chat: We’ve revived team channels and direct messaging. Now you can stay aligned, ask questions, and solve problems in real-time using public or private channels, direct messages, and group conversations. You can also share tasks, projects, files, comments, and more inline — so that nothing gets lost and anything actionable gets captured on the spot.
Built for the future of work.
Flow X combines all of these apps into a single — extremely powerful — productivity platform. Which means that teams can ditch a handful of duct-taped together tools for a single tool that handles tasks, projects, timelines, files and communication. So your work stays in one place, rather than all over the place.
We run our entire business in Flow X and we’re proud to help more teams make the same move. We promise you’ll spend less time bouncing between tools, multi-tasking and managing notifications. And that you’ll have more time for deep, meaningful work — without sacrificing speed, clarity, and great communication.
Thoughtfully and beautifully designed.
Since Flow’s beginnings at the world-renowned product design firm MetaLab, we’ve always prided ourselves on being the best designed tool in the space. We work incredibly hard to make Flow simple enough to pick up in minutes, but powerful enough that you’ll never outgrow it. And we’ve made huge strides here in Flow X.
We’ve completely redesigned the app from the ground up. It features all-new iconography, simpler and clearer typography, and multiple themes so you can customize the look and feel of Flow to match how you like to work.
In addition, Flow X is faster and more powerful than ever before. You can create tasks and projects, upload files, organize projects, and share anything — from Figma files to Excel spreadsheets — in seconds. And you can do a whole lot more than that.
On top of hundreds of improvements, we’ve also added brand new features.
- With Move to Flow, you can now import tasks from any other tool into Flow. So you can move tools and bring your tasks with you.
- With Due Times, you can now be even more specific — down to the minute — about when work is due.
- With Task Priority, you can easily mark a task as low, medium, or high priority — as well as urgent — to keep everyone on the same page.
- You can sort and filter tasks faster than ever. Whether that means viewing tasks alphabetically, by priority, or by deadline, we’ve got you covered.
And that’s just scratching the surface.
Thank you to all of our customers for helping us refine Flow X through countless questions, bugs, and feature requests. After 10 years in business, 18 months in development, and 6 months in beta, we couldn’t be more excited to share Flow X with the world.
Daniel Scrivner took over as Flow’s CEO in early 2019. Prior to joining Flow he was the Head of Design at Square, and worked for many of the world’s leading brands including Apple, Nike, and Disney. Recently he launched Outliers, a new weekly podcast focused on deconstructing what the Top 1% of people across industries have mastered and what they’ve learned along the way.
What’s Flow?Try it for free
Capture to-dos, notes, files, and dates in seconds. Never forget a detail again.
Organize tasks into projects to visualize your work as a board, list, or timeline.
Calendars & Timelines
See your tasks, teammates tasks, and project timelines on a calendar.
Comments, file sharing, channels, and direct messaging come built into Flow.
Powerful & Flexible
Assign tasks a priority or due time, add sub-tasks, tags, and so much more.
Tired of dull and dreary productivity apps? Flow is simple, beautiful, and delightful.
Start working smarter.
See why over 300,000 teams in more than 140 countries around the world use Flow. Try it free for 30 days. No credit card required.Get Started – It’s Free to Try